POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : generating an image_map name: string syntax problem : Re: generating an image_map name: string syntax problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: generating an image_map name: string syntax problem
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Feb 2009 12:10:00
Message: <web.49a0333340230f63f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> But *somewhere* in this chain, something isn't exactly 'right'--the
> > final animation viewed in WMP has what looks like slightly increased
> > contrast. (Or a gamma shift, I'm not sure which.)
>
> I suppose your gamma-settings for overlay video are wrong.  You should be
> able to adjust them at Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> [name
> (of the brand) of your graphics card] -> [something with overlay and/or
> color/gamma settings]

Ah yes, the video card--another link in the chain. Mine is an ATI Radeon 200
series (it came with my machine.) Following your advice, I looked at the
'Overlay' tab, and it tells me that the settings there are automatically
applied "to any video file type that supports overlay adjustments"--five slider
settings including gamma. But the sliders are ALL dimmed out (even the 'Set to
defaults' button) so I can't adjust them. I don't understand why; but they are
all at their good default 'mid-points' anyway, with gamma at 1.0. Then I looked
under the 'Color' tab, which has three sliders--contrast, brightness and gamma--
that *can* be adjusted, but they affect *everything* on my system, instantly, so
I'll leave them as-is (again, set to their defaults, with gamma at 1.0.)

I took a closer look at the other videos I've created (all made with monkeyjam)
and they ALL have the slight contrast/gamma problem, regardless of
the video codec I used at the time--CINEPAK, Sorenson, etc. So I'm pretty sure
it isn't the xvid codec.

I have no real way of knowing if video from ALL sources (DVDs, etc.) show this
problem when played back on my system; I guess so. Never thought about it until
now.

BTW, I'm running Windows XP SP3.

Ken W.